on the covers
to link to Amazon
scramble for underground storage space, Linley had already been
rejected by the War Office and the Air Ministry because of its instability
and tendency to flood. But in spite of this the RAF took possession
in May 1941.
original cost for converting the caves to an ammunition depot was
£250,000, but this did not take account of the poor state
of the roof or the ten-degree slope of the floor which meant that
level concrete terraces had to be built. During construction the
roof kept caving in and by August the costs were in excess of a
was never completed and was an embarrassment to the RAF. It was
downgraded and opened in October 1942 as a surface depot and used
only to store obsolete bombs and empty bomb cases.
to see larger map