on the covers
to link to Amazon
was a small limestone quarry worked to provide stone for Salisbury
Cathedral. The quarry closed in 1935 when demand for limestone fell
due to the increased use of concrete for building purposes. The
quarry and surrounding land were bought by the Air Ministry in 1936.
to the other RAF ammunition depots, Chilmark was stable. The limestone
was of good quality, so fewer pillars were needed to support the
roof, and the floor was level. The entrances were in poor condition,
but these were strengthened with a concrete lining which gave the
tunnels the appearance of the London tube!
first consignment of war stores arrived in May 1937. Chilmark’s
claim to fame is the fact that it was on the only RAF ammunition
depot to survive the war.
early years of the war Chilmark took over a number of remote satellite
depots inlcuding two of the War Office underground sites at Corsham
(Eastlays Quarry and Ridge Quarry) and also developed immense surface
storage sites in woodland at Dinton and Grovelley Wood.
to see larger photographs