The Ridge was used during the Great War
for TNT and cordite storage and vacated in 1922.
Changing little between
the wars, Ridge was requisitioned by the War Office in 1934 and
brought into commission in 1936. Although earmarked as part of CAD
Corsham, it was used by the RAF.
The RAF left Ridge Quarry
in 1955 and the Army kept a presence there until 1964 after which
the site reverted to care and maintenance under the Ministry of
Works and Building.
Ridge Quarry was repurchased
by the Neston Estate in 1975.
Click on the button above
to see Ridge Quarry.
Depot 2 Ridge Quarry
new ammunition magazines the only satisfactory construction
appears to be by earth protection ... such magazines would
not be difficult or expensive to construct in chalk and convenient
sites might be found in disused quarries.'
War Office Inquiry