Warren Row, near Henley-on-Thames, was developed
for the manufacture of aircraft components.
It consists of tunnels fifteen
to twenty feet wide and about 600 yards in length. Machine tools
and benches were lined up against the left-hand walls leaving narrow
walkways to the right.
Warren Row was maintained
by the Ministry of Supply until 1958 when, during the Cold War,
it became a secret, then notorious, Regional Seat of Government.
Click on the button below
to see Warren Row.
Row: RSG 6
April, 1963, a small group of anti-nuclear protesters, calling
themselves 'Spies for Peace', revealed to the world that the
British Government had constructed for its own protection
a chain of secret underground bunkers in which the favoured
few would sit out the looming nuclear war while the civil
population vaporized in the ensuing holocaust.'