Brown's Quarry is a small quarry to the
north of Tunnel Quarry. In 1940 it was converted, at great expense,
into a secure underground Command Centre for No 10 Group, RAF Rudloe
The Command Centre fell
into disuse soon after the war and the control room remained unchanged
until the mid 1980s when it was altered for the Controller, Defence
Communications. It is now derelict and abandoned.
Click on the button above
to see Rudloe Manor.
10 Group Fighter Command Operations Room
F W Allan, the engineer in charge, considered Brown's Quarry
as the most exacting and difficult of all the construction
tasks undertaken at Corsham as the operations room called
for a single chamber, fifty feet square and forty-five feet